Age: If applicants are under 18 years of age, written consent of both parents is necessary. If either applicant is 14 or 15 years of age they must present written consent from a justice of the Supreme Court or judge of the Family Court having jurisdiction over the town or city in which the application is made.
If both applicants are 18 years of age or older, no consent is required.
Proof of Age
Two forms of ID are required, each showing date of birth. The following are acceptable documents to support information submitted by marriage license applicants:
- Driver's License
- Non-Driver's License
- Naturalization Papers
- Military ID Card
- Employer's Photo ID (must have birth date)
- Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
- Baptismal or other Church Record established by one year of age.
For previous marriages, the following is required:
- Certified Copy of Death Certificate if last marriage ended in death
- Certified Copy of Divorce Decree or Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage for any or all marriage(s) ended in divorce.
License Fee and Requirements
- 24 hour waiting period
- license is valid for 60 days beginning the day after it is issued
- any and all divorce decrees or certificates of dissolution of previous marriages are necessary
- $40 license fee
- $10 certified copy of license
These requirements are per the New York State Department of Health, Vital Records Section.